Club History

2016 Conversion of Courts 5 & 6 to an artificial clay surface (pictures).
2013 The club celebrates its 50th anniversary.
2010 Upgrade of floodlights on court 4.
2004 Artificial Grass was laid on courts 1 to 4.
2000 Artificial Grass was laid on courts 5 & 6.
1995 The three shale courts were re-surfaced with macadam.
1987 Additional land was purchased and two floodlit courts (5&6) constructed with macadam surfaces.
1969 A fourth court was constructed – this was an all weather ‘tennis-quick’ court that allowed all year round play for the first time and also saw the introduction of floodlit tennis.
1963 The site was purchased by the members of the tennis club for the sum of £1600 and the members elected to re-name the club Gynsill Lawn Tennis Club.
1954 Fred Wain donated a cup which bears his name and for which (in June of every year) members still compete.
1940 In the late 1940’s the site was leased to the tennis players who formed a club.
1933 In 1933 the Airborne Shoe Company purchased this site as a recreation ground for their employees. Fred Wain, one of the Directors of Airborne, was a keen tennis player and improved the facilities to comprise of three grey shale courts and a bowling green. The site was re-named the Airborne Sports Club.
1920 The origins of Gynsill Lawn Tennis club date back to the 1920’s when part of the current site was known as the Anstey Sports Club.